June 21, 2009
Remember 80's hair? The hair people spent countless hours perming, teasing into a pouf of bangs and otherwise doing their best to make as big as possible?
My hair spent much of my childhood laying flat against my head. Unless it was short. In which case it framed my face in a frizzy triangle. I came late to the whole 80's hair look, even though I was a child of the 80's.
In 6th grade I was too dorky to really care about (any type of) fashion and gladly wore this really dorky denim jumper that had red lines on it. Underneath that I wore a red turtleneck.
And before you think I'm exaggerating about the kind of clothes I liked, this is the outfit I chose for my 6th grade school picture. Out of all the other outfits in the world I chose that one.
In 7th grade I was introduced to the teasing comb. Man, I loved that teasing comb. A few swipes backward and my bangs were poufy as all get out. I didn't even need the curling iron.
By 8th grade I was leaving the teasing comb behind and settling into my teen angst phase, which would last all through high school. This meant flat, dyed, black hair that covered my face at all times.
So if the big hair trend ever comes back into vogue we would be in trouble, as my styling skills leave a bit to be desired. That is, if I can't convince my child to opt out of it- as some things do not deserve a reprise.
Well, no worries, apparently Sadie is lucky enough to have hair that forms itself into 80's hair if slept on just right.
We were eating breakfast and I kept laughing so I decided to take some pictures.
Posted by Sarah F at 7:52 PM
June 18, 2009
Did you ever think that you would get to hear so much about any one woman's placenta?
In the rocker, instead of the hanging basket:
You are so lucky!
Anyway, my placenta has moved far enough away to give birth with no issues. Good news!
I thought today might be my last exam at the actual birth center, before they move to the hospital, but I will have one more visit there in 2 weeks.
I am still sad that this baby won't be born where Sadie was.
I brought my camera so I could take pictures of where Sadie was born before it's no longer the birth center.
I got some pictures of the room and Sadie enjoyed crawling around on the bed. She was dying to get into the hanging basket cradle and didn't think she was too big for it.
She kept asking Why I was small one day and a baby and in your bummy, Mommy? Why did I kick you, Mommy?
It was very cute.
In the rocker, instead of the hanging basket:
Sadie on the bed that she was born in:
Posted by Sarah F at 8:42 PM
June 17, 2009
Tomorrow I have my appointment with the midwives where they tell me about the ultrasound results on the old placenta. The tech wouldn't tell me if it had moved or not.
I will update you.
But I did want to tell y'all about the baby. We saw him- yes, him- again in 3D. You know, that sort of creepy paper-baby looking ultrasound like the picture I posted last time.
Well, the minute she switched it into 3D I thought Holy crap, that looks like Will. But I didn't say anything because I figured I was crazy.
Then we were looking more and I said He kind of looks like you, no? And Will said he had thought the same thing but didn't say anything in case he was seeeing things.
It was neat and strange and sort of cool to see that he could already look like one of us.
I told Will that that's because this one is his.
Posted by Sarah F at 10:39 PM
June 12, 2009
I know it's been a while since the last post. And to make up for it I am now going to inundate you with both trivial and important information about life here.
First, I apologize for my laxity in posting...again. Just when I had you all thinking I was back to normal, I flake out again, huh? Actually, you all know I am flaky to begin with and have never stopped being flaky. Let's say...flakier.
Anyway, here goes:
Excuses for not posting on the blog...
- I am lazy
- Grammy came to visit and I got to be even lazier
- I am exhausted from being pregnant...So, so very tired that sometimes I can't believe how tired I am
- I passed my Glucose Tolerance Test and don't have to take the 3 hour which made me sick the last time!
- I found out I am very anemic, which could be contributing to my tiredness. This was told to me in a call which I almost did not answer because I was afraid the reults of the glucose test were bad and that's why they were calling. Ha, I didn't want to know.
- I am now taking iron supplements
- I ate steak tonight, good source of iron. I have eaten steak twice in the last couple of months! What?
- Oh, and bacon.
- Hey, I'm pregnant, and I wanted some meat. Sue me. I hadn't had any since 2001.
- Sadie LOVES steak. I think both times we've had it she's eaten about 1 pound.
- She also loves bacon.
- And salmon. (She and Dada eat that together...yuck!)
- Laddie has also been loving this foray into steak and bacon. What dog doesn't love bacon grease?
- Sadie has come up with an entire name for Laddie. His full name is as follows:
- Laddie Woo Wag-tail-wag I don't love cars Wag-tail-wag
- Now you inderstand why she is not naming the new baby, no?
- Will has had an abcessed tooth, which is now better due to antibiotics, but will be yanked next week. Yikes.
- I am feeling huge and whenever I see pregnant women and ask when they're due because they are so much smaller than me I find out they are due 2 weeks after me. Or before. Seriously, 2 weeks. It's a trend. And I am HUGE.
- This baby moves like a lunatic. He's always kicking and jumping and dancing and stomping on my cervix.
- Stomping on your cervix from the inside hurts, man. Trust me.
- This baby has a tentative name.
- No middle name as of yet
- Sadie likes to call him Silas, too. She says Silas! That's a good name!
- I keep thinking that he's not really a boy. In which case her name won't be Silas.
- My two favorite girl names are Fern and Hazel
- I have the ultrasound this week to see if my placenta has moved away from the cervix.
- I will make them check again that it's a boy
- I would think that it has probably moved as (tentatively named) Silas is managing to stomp on the cervix
- Sadie has a very cool playhouse in the yard
- Sadie has been peeing on the potty very well
- Sadie has been peeing in the grass as well. She likes to.
- Sadie is not a big fan of pooping on the potty
- Sadie IS a big fan of pooping in the grass
- Yes, I know that is weird
- We are all weird out here
- Sadie has been saying she will give up boo-boos for the baby. This was her own idea. I have been doing my best to limit her nursing without causing a lot of hoopla. Hoping to get her weaned before late August.
- When she realized the other day that she was going to have to share her beloved boo-boos with her brother she was not happy.
- Oy vey.
- The birth center is closing down while they build the new one so they have basically told us (who just found out after being promised we would give birth at the birth center) to suck it and are making us all give birth at the hospital. We will get to go home 6 hours after the birth and they are trying to be as understanding and birth-center-like as possible but I really wanted to have (Silas?) in the same house and room where Sadie was born. Not at a hospital.
- Oh well. Sucks.
- I went for a routine midwife appointment the other week and Sadie stayed home with Dada. When I got home she was perplexed and asked me where baby brother was. She thought I was getting him out.
- I wish
- She did not believe me when I told her where babies come out. She insisted it was my belly button.
- I don't know which would hurt worse
- Sadie is getting so clever. We were talking about standing up for yourself and telling people to stop when they are bothering/hitting you and she said What will happen after I tell them No, I don't like that? What will they do? Thinking ahead.
- Of course, that may not be so clever. I might just think it is, but it seemed clever to me that she was processing things like that at 2.5 years.
- Yes, I'm biased.
- I am looking forward to summer and playing outside all day.
- I am not looking forward to being big and hot and pregnant all summer
- I may actually have to break down and get an air conditioner
- I may let Will take a picture of me looking like a hot, beached whale in Sadie's pool
- But probably not
- I promise I'll post again soon
Posted by Sarah F at 9:37 PM