June 19, 2008

Nightweaning: A Report from the Front

We started night weaning Sadie last night. I was completely dreading it, but I just couldn't nurse every 45 minutes anymore, especially with the blisters I've had for 3 months. Something had to give.

We started out by telling her that she would nurse to sleep but once asleep and it was dark she wouldn't nurse until it was light. We did this for a few days leading up to last night.
I wasn't sure how much she understood but at one point she looked at us and said "No boo-boo," so it seemed like it was making some sense.

Then I nursed her to sleep. She slept for about 2 hours (long for her!) and then woke up. I went in and we talked and snuggled and she cried for a little bit, but nowhere near what I thought she would do. This child can cry, but she didn't!
It took about 1-1/2 hours but she finally fell asleep with me, without nursing! It was hard for her, I could see how she was trying to sleep but it's hard to drift off when your sleep ritual has been disrupted.

She woke up again at 3:30am and tried to get some boo-boo but I just said no and reminded her about waiting for daylight. She fussed a bit but got over it quickly and we went back to sleep. Then she woke up between 5:30-6am, and it was light out, so she nursed.

So I am surprised and pleased and shocked at how it's going. I have heard that the second night can be worse because they know what's coming.
I could see that happening with Sadie, so cross your fingers.

And we went on a hike today. Where Sadie said "tall trees" and yelled "Wawa!" 3,692 times at the river we were hiking along. After the hike she sat in the hatch area of the car and drank her first juice box. She even shared some with her duck:


No comments: